Karen Ireland-Phillips's Reviews > Baba Yaga Laid an Egg

Baba Yaga Laid an Egg by Dubravka Ugrešić

Dec 31, 11

Less successful than Deathless, if no less luminous, this volume won the Tiptree award, a choice which with I disagree. I see how the celebration of women and age intersects with the goal of the Tiptree, I don’t see how this work changes our perception of gender. And for what it’s worth – I am roughly the same age as the author and dealing with a mother much the same as she in the first part, a memoir of sorts – the author’s relationship with her mother as her mother ages . The second is the saga of three old Slavic women who have taken a spa vacation, and the third is a self-conscious, pseudo-scholarly explication of the themes of the first two parts.[return]I did find some things particularly fascinating – as a westerner seeing eastern Europe as a unified whole, it’s fascinating to recall that it’s actually scored with territories and states. Second is the effect of having lived through a war, as have the characters in the second part. [return]Like Deathless, the stories are based upon the Slavic folklore of Ugresic’s childhood, but seem far more cramped in scope. Overall, eminently readable and a beautiful work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baba Yaga Laid an Egg.