JustJayneIA's Reviews > Destined for an Early Grave

Destined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Dec 31, 11

bookshelves: 2011, paranormal, paranormal-romance, romance, vampires
Read from December 30 to 31, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. After book 3, I'd pretty much decided I was done with this series. Cat was too much of a Mary Sue for my taste, and too much of the books seemed poorly planned, poorly executed, or too much wish fulfillment. The only reason I'd made it so far? Bones. I love Bones. But I was also frustrated because it seems like the author created this wonderful character in the first book, and then neutered him and made him nothing but a lackey sidekick in subsequent books. I vowed to try one more time, and if the first couple of chapters didn't make me feel any better, I was going to bid a sad "Adieu" to Bones.

This 4th book, however, addressed those concerns. I know that a lot of readers don't care for the amount of discord between Cat and Bones in this book but I really loved it. I love that Bones finally grew a pair and called Cat out on her attitude and her antics. And even though I was still a little put off by the extreme Mary Sue-ness of the Cat character, the central conflict of this story together with the conflict between Bones and Cat kept me riveted. I read it straight through and couldn't put it down.

I think the author is finally hitting her stride with this book and I'm now actually looking forward to the next books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destined for an Early Grave.