Roxy's Reviews > Think: Straight Talk for Women to Stay Smart in a Dumbed-Down World

Think by Lisa Bloom

F_50x66
Dec 31, 11

Read in December, 2011

I read this book cover to cover in one day (granted, I was on vacation). But I really couldn't put it down! It appealed to my humanitarian senses and advocated something I'm already passionate about: reading. It emphasizes the choices we make in the reading material and social media in which we choose to invest our time and attention and the impact of those individual choices on our society as a whole.

This book exposes the average American's solipsistic views on politics and world issues, often revealed through sheer ignorance on these matters like climate change and international politics. For example, many people believe that our country made substantial gains in the women's rights movement when Hillary Clinton became a presidential candidate. However the reality is that the U.S. is living in the dark ages as far as the women's rights movement where other countries are concerned. Many other nations have had female leaders - for decades! And that's just one small example. By contrast the Average American female can exhort the details of the most recent failed Kardashian marriage with the aplomb of a Ph.D. doctoral dissertation. That's ludicrous and in all honesty - embarrassing!

The author expounds on several examples of where our choices in literature and media manifest into the shortcomings of our education system and even our day-to-day interactions with each other as exemplified by the "garbage in garbage out" principle and the alarming increase in narcissism in our culture. She does so with candor, wit, and sensitivity. I found myself humbled by the sheer volume of information I did not know with regard to world politics. But this book also motivated and inspired me to actively seek these issues out. It left me wanting more. Fortunately Lisa provides accessible solutions to our junk media habits. She offers her recommendations on everything including TheWeek.com versus Twitter for your world news as well as a cache of other books and films. There is an appendix of recommended reading at the back of the book and I found at least twenty other titles both fiction and nonfiction and one movie (Hotel Rwanda) that I immediately put on hold at the library. I have to say, though, one glaring exception to her advice on how to find great books to read is her ommision of this site: Good Reads! (I just became a fan of her on this site.) She does however advocate her own website: www.think.tv which I also subscribe to.

I highly recommend this book to everyone, especially women, but to men as well because the advice is, quite frankly, universal. Where Lisa Bloom indicates that women might spend too much of their precious time on tabloid media and reality TV in my opinion men are equally guilty of wasting their precious time and deserving of the same tools to make better decisions about the types of books, magazines, and films they allocate their time and brain power to. We are lucky, by accident of birth or fortune, to live in a country where we have these options and the freedom to act on them if we so choose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Think.