Sue's Reviews > The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer

The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee

Apr 26, 15

bookshelves: historical, medical, non-fiction, read-2015
Read from March 30 to April 26, 2015

About 15 years ago, I attended a lecture where the speaker made the bold pronouncement that in 5-10 years, cancer would no longer be a disease in which you were either cured or you died; it would be a chronic illness like diabetes or atherosclerosis of the heart or asthma. 15 years later... we're there for some kinds of cancers. Other type of cancers are still cure or die diseases, but progress is being made on them as well. This book chronicles the history of our collective knowledge of cancer over the millennia, and how we went astray sometimes and how progress was made - incrementally in some cases, and rapidly in others. A fascinating read. If you or a loved one are in the midst of a battle with cancer, this book might not be the most cheerful or give you the utmost confidence that your doctors always know what they're doing (realistically, how can they, when everything changes so fast...) but as an academic exploration of the topic, it is enlightening.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor of All Maladies.

04/26 marked as: read