Tamara's Reviews > Because of Mr. Terupt

Dec 31, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: childrens, read2012
Read from December 31, 2011 to January 01, 2012

This is a sweet but overly predictable book about how students change because of a teacher (and an accident). I ended up crying in bed reading it, because it certainly knows how to jerk the tears, but the characters are pretty simple stereotypes, complex only in the ways the stereotypes allow. (The ditzy girl is bitchy BECAUSE her mom and dad fought and mom kicked dad out so she is compensating; shocking. I liked Anna and Jeffrey, at least, though they didn't go too much more complex).

It might be better for 3rd or maybe 4th graders, but I'd like characters with a little more meat for my kids. Maybe it's because it skips around between six or so point of views over a limited number of pages, so you don't get the time or space to get very deep into each character, but on the other hand, it doesn't feel like there's a lot deeper to go. Which is fine, and I'd recommend it to my kids to read alone, but I'm relatively glad I didn't end up doing this as a read-aloud.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because of Mr. Terupt.