Suzie Quint's Reviews > Between a Jock and a Hard Place

Dec 31, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: dnf
Read in December, 2011

I know I can be a bit anal retentive at times, and right off a few minor annoyances cropped up in this. Things like inconsistent punctuation, changes in settings without any transition, and telling me things I want to be shown, but these are minor things (mostly), so I ignored them. What isn't so minor is that halfway through, when the H & h are on their first official date (having lunch on his sailboat), the heroine basically says, "let's cut to the chase and get naked." Mind you, there's no buildup of attraction or hormones. They've shared two kisses, the last of which was "unlike any kiss she'd ever experienced," a description that's not exactly heat-inducing, so the move below-deck felt . . . cold and impersonal. And make her look cheap and easy. I'm not going to finish this, which is sad, because all it would have taken was some visceral responses that made me feel the heat between the two, but you know . . . I have some really good things in my TBR stack that are calling my name.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between a Jock and a Hard Place.

01/02/2012

message 1: by Cindi (new)

Cindi This is on my Kindle. Having seen some of the reviews I think I'll wait to see what you think about it.

Suzie Quint Hope you're patient. It's nowhere near the top of my humongous tbr pile.

message 3: by Cindi (new)

Cindi I think I'll pass on this one. Like you, I have WAY too many good ones on my TBR shelf.

Suzie Quint It's really a shame when a writer's freebie, which I know the writer hopes to entice new readers with, turns the reader off instead of on.

message 5: by Cindi (new)

Cindi It's really hit or miss with the freebies. I've discovered some great authors as a result (Darcia Helle for one) but I've also discovered the not so great.