Emma's Reviews > Rachel's Holiday

Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes

Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: british-irish, chick-lit, comedy, fiction, medical, romance
Read from December 31, 2011 to January 03, 2012 — I own a copy

I have to stop referring to Marian Keyes novels as guilty pleasures because there's really nothing to feel guilty about - Marian is an excellent writer and story teller. Yes, Rachel's Holiday is a technically a 'chick-lit'/'women's' novel, but there is way more substance in it than the fluff found in most chick-lit books. The story follows Rachel, who is admitted to a rehab clinic against her will for addictive behaviour she would categorize as purely recreational. She doesn't believe she has a problem, but her boyfriend Luke, roommate and best friend Brigit, and parents disagree. So she is shipped away from her exciting life in New York to her native Dublin where she enters a rehab clinic. Marian Keyes is open about her past addiction to alcohol so she no doubt includes some of her own experiences and insights into the character of Rachel and into the plot of the book. Like all of Marian's books, there is a lot of humour -even at the darkest moments of Rachel's addiction I was laughing (in a good way) at her wit and sarcasm. There's also lots of romance, friendship, and one medium sized twist.

This book is part of the Walsh Sisters series, however one does not need to read the other books in a particular order (or even at all) to understand the book. Rachel briefly mentions her older sisters a few times, and her younger sisters Anna and Helen along with her mom and dad have small roles in the book.

Overall, it is a really easy, addicting (no pun intended) feel good read. The reason I give it 4/5 instead of 5/5 is because it is fairly similar (as far as writing style) to her other books and it didn't completely surprise or blow me out of the water.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rachel's Holiday.