Becca's Reviews > Charmed Thirds

F 50x66
Dec 31, 2011

it was ok
Read from December 31, 2011 to January 03, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I vastly preferred the first 2 books in this series. After reading this one, I'm not sure I even want to bother with the 4th and 5th instalments. My first problem with Charmed Thirds is that Jessica's entire university education is covered in this one book, which, to me, felt like I was missing out on a lot of interesting and worthwhile stories (I imagine the effect to be similar to that of a tv show cramming an entire season's worth of plot development into a single episode). So much happens in the course of one's undergraduate education; trying to tell it all in one book felt really rushed. Next, where did the preoccupation with sex come from?? I get it, Jessica's of age, she just started having sex, she's enjoying herself... but does it have to colour every single thing that ever happens to her? I have no problem reading about sex, but honestly, you'd think somebody who was intellectual enough to gain admittance to an ivy league school would at least occasionally have better things to think about. The final straw for me, though, was at the very end, when she asks Marcus what made him so sure she'd take him back after the whole secluded-in-the-desert, gone-but-for-a-series-of-cryptic-postcards thing. She cheats on the guy, and then muses over why she should deign to take him back? For a character that's supposed to be "smart," Jessica Darling says and does some awfully stupid things. She's growing increasingly self-entitled and vapid as the series goes on. Honestly, I'd rather read a book about her friend Hope, who seems to lead a much more interesting life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charmed Thirds.