Nathanial's Reviews > The Brothers Karamazov

Jun 29, 2007

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended for: patricidal saints
Read in December, 2007

Was this the first of the "good boy gone bad" books?

Why didn't someone tell me that Dostoevsky could be funny? It's a tragic tale of avarice and nihilism, of course, and still he lets through these moments of officious buffoonery that are just completely unnecessary and wholly delightful, like the village doctor who can never seem to figure out what is the matter. Though thousands and thousands of people have written of this book, the only one who convinced me that I had to read it was Fyodor himself, and he did that just by putting down one word after another. No tricks of tongue or technique, just human delusion and remorse and agony told like it is.

Satisfying in its sweep of scope, scale, and tone: some may criticize the long monologues and the inconsistent narration, yet the exactness of portraiture lends an insight to such a range of human experiences that these critiques don't matter. Plus, most of the chapters are really short - besides being jam-packed - so you don't actually have to devote huge chunks of time to get something out of it. Just have patience, and you'll find this to be a rock-star book, full of sexdrugsrockandroll, godly misfits, and blasphemous saints.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brothers Karamazov.

10/06/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Daniela (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniela God, you are illiterate! Whatever is not canonic in terms of style and vision is either boring or hilarious! You have no idea about the complexity of Russian spirituality. And I'm not Russian, believe me.

message 2: by Nathanial (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nathanial Oh, thank you, Georgia! I'm so flattered that you took the time to dedicate your wily attentions to little 'ol me! Will you be my best friend?

message 3: by Daniela (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniela Best friend? Sure!!! You're irresistibly sarky!

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim One of the best reviews. People don't point out the humor enough, I'd no idea myself til I began reading it.