Jessica Rackley's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Feb 08, 12

Read from February 05 to 08, 2012

If I could give this book six stars, I would. Tris was amazing. I identified with her in sooo many ways. I loved Four/Tobias, and their relationship. There were a few things I thought went a little too far... like when they assault her, or 'expose' her, but other than those things, this book was AMAZING. I am going to get my hands on Insurgent the second it comes into my library =D
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Veronica Roth
“...there is power in self-sacrifice.”

Veronica Roth
“Peter would probably throw a party if I stopped breathing.'

'Well,' he says, 'I would only go if there was cake.”

Veronica Roth
“I am selfish. I am brave.”

Veronica Roth
“A brave man acknowledges the strength of others.”

Veronica Roth
“You think my first instinct is to protect you. Because you're small, or a girl, or a Stiff. But you're wrong."

He leans his face close to mine and wraps his fingers around my chin. His hand smells like metal. When was the last time he held a gun, or a knife? My skin tingles at the point of contact, like he's transmitting electricity through his skin.

"My first instinct is to push you until you break, just to see how hard I have to press." he says, his fingers squeezing at the word break. My body tenses at the edge in his voice, so I am coiled as tight as a spring, and I forget to breathe.

His dark eyes lifting to mine, he adds, "But I resist it."

"Why..." I swallow hard. "Why is that your first instinct?"

"Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up. I've seen it. It's fascinating." He releases me but doesn't pull away, his hand grazing my jaw, my neck. "Sometimes I just want to see it again. Want to see you awake.”

Veronica Roth
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”

Veronica Roth
“Moths," repeats Will. "You're afraid of moths?"

"Not just a cloud of moths," she says, "like...a swarm of them. Everywhere. All those wings and legs and..." She shudders and shakes her head.

"Terrifying," Will says with mock seriousness. "That's my girl. Tough as cotton balls."

"Oh, Shut up.”

Veronica Roth
“Somewhere inside me is a merciful, forgiving person. Somewhere there is a girl who tries to understand what people are going through, who accepts that people do evil things and that desperation leads them to darker places than they ever imagined. I swear she exists, and she hurts for the repentant boy I see in front of me.

But if I saw her, I wouldn't recognize her.”

Veronica Roth
“Human beings as a whole cannot be good for long before the bad creeps back in and poisons us again.”

Veronica Roth
“I feel like someone breathed new air into my lungs. I am not Abnegation. I am not Dauntless.
I am Divergent.”

Veronica Roth
“It must require bravery to be honest all the time.”

Veronica Roth
“I have something I need to tell you," he says. I run my fingers along the tendons in his hands and look back at him. "I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though."
"That's sensible of you," I say, smiling too. "We should find some paper so you can make a list or a chart or something."
I feel his laughter against my side, his nose sliding along my jaw, his lips pressing my ear.
"Maybe I'm already sure," he says, "and I just don't want to frighten you."
I laugh a little. "Then you should know better."
"Fine," he says. "Then I love you.”

Veronica Roth
“Politeness is deception in pretty packaging.”

Veronica Roth
“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”

02/05/2012 page 53
11.0% 2 comments
02/07/2012 page 455
93.0% "Oh, my goooooooosh! It's Peeta all over again!!! DX"
show 2 hidden updates…