Tressa (Wishful Endings)'s Reviews > The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Feb 22, 12

bookshelves: 2012, favorites, clean-reads
Read in February, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Hadley, who has had a rough couple of years dealing with her parents separation, then divorce after her dad moves to England (originally it was supposed to be temporary), is on her way across the ocean to England herself to go to her father's second wedding. She happens to barely miss her flight and coincidentally runs into Oliver (a Brit who is studying at Yale and is just a year older than Hadley), who is also on the same flight. Is there such a thing as love at first sight?

I absolutely loved this book! I have been reading too many end-of-the-world or someone-has-to-die type books lately (I'd like to see an author write a dystopian novel that is happy or a simple romance - it's got to be possible, right?) and I just needed a break. I won this in a giveaway and it looked super cute, so I picked it up. It was just what I needed. Content is completely clean and I loved all the Brit terms for things that Hadley was always correcting with the proper American terms (i.e. loo vs. bathroom). I loved reading the witty conversation and it just cracked me up.

There is some definite heartbreak, some character development, and of course a happy ending. I have heard some negative things about the book, but I didn't think those things were the main point of the story and weren't completely explained (some things are left to your own assumptions, whatever those may be). The wedding really brings everything that Hadley has been dealing with to a head and even though the timing could have been better, I don't know where else she would have been forced to make a decision. The story is really about Hadley having to decide if her dad's choice to divorce her mom and marry again is worth cutting her dad out of her life. More than that, it is also how Hadley leans on Oliver through the whole flight to England, how they share parts of themselves as they talk and this is where the falling in love really comes in and why Hadley feels so strongly that she needs to be there for Oliver later on. It definitely wasn't a light and completely happily-ever-after story in every way, as it had some real life in there as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.

Quotes Tressa Liked

Jennifer E. Smith
“It's not the changes that will break your heart; it's that tug of familiarity.”
Jennifer E. Smith, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight