David Stewart's Reviews > Palestine

Palestine by Joe Sacco

Jan 12, 12

bookshelves: socio-graphic
Read from December 31, 2011 to January 12, 2012

Coming to this as someone willfully ignorant of Palestine/Israel hostilities of the early 90s and beyond, I found myself pretty engaged by Sacco's observations of that tumultuous time. He has a definite journalistic slant on what he sees, constantly wanting to see more for the sake of the story and almost cold in his attitudes towards these stories. I can appreciate that, particularly in something as emotionally charged as this subject matter is. He doesn't lack emotion, there is plenty to be seen in the artwork itself and simply in the stories that he is told by the Palestinian refugees. He also manages to inject humor into an otherwise humorless setting (there are an abundance of tea jokes that you have to see to understand), and his own view of himself in these situations is almost as humorous as any of the jokes. His self-depiction is exaggerated and more a caricature of himself than a portrait.

I think my only issue with Palestine is that it has spoiled me for the intake of factual or mostly factual knowledge. I now want to read all my news in comic/graphic form. So thanks for that, Joe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Palestine.