Johara Almogbel's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Dec 31, 11

Read in December, 2011

It was a long, rambling, narration of memories told by the protagonist. I just, I don't know why I feel this negative towards the story. No, wait, I do, but I don't know how to articulate it. First off, you get this feeling of being at the edge of a screen, trying to see what's going on but only having enough line of sight to see a little part. You have this story about 'students' being brought up in an idyllic boarding school to be readied as vessels for body parts. Where do they come from? How did they come to be? are they cloned as toddlers or are they made as fetuses in tubes? Who's in charge of them? How do they organize everything? How, why, when, what... Even the big 'discovery' we get isn't much of a discovery.

And then come the characters. Of all of them, the only one I felt any connection to was Tommy, and even he was distorted by kathy's narrative. Then you have the narrative itself, which I mentioned earlier.

I don't know. I just came away from this book with a depressing feeling. And not the sort that leaves you thinking. I couldn't see what was poignant that made this such an important read. Maybe the movie will be better.

If you want to read about the ethical implications of medical discoveries, I recommend The Adoration of Jenny Fox.

I just came across this awesome review by Yara. She sums it up a lot more accurately than I do:D Yara's review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Yara Thanx for the mention! I'll take it as a huge compliment from you, i adore your reviews! :)

WHen i finished that book, i was in such a daze and i couldn't quite get a grip on my feelings towrds this book.

Johara Almogbel Yara wrote: "Thanx for the mention! I'll take it as a huge compliment from you, i adore your reviews! :)

You're quite welcome, it was a really spot on review! You sort of opened my eyes to other points I hadn't thought of, like where they got money from and how the functioned in daily life if they're supposed to be 'in the shadows'. To be honest, most of my review is inspired by yours:)

And yes, I get what you mean! I was depressed and frustrated. Mostly frustrated because it was so easy for them to just run off and start a new life somewhere, but yet they stuck around for a fate worse than death, in the end. *sigh* Just not what I expected when I picked this book up.

Yara I know! I expected to get sucked in by the magic, I was so ready for it. I mean, I can understand why they didn't run away from the only life they knew, but there were too many missing pieces from this puzzle. Too many for my liking :s

Yara Oops sorry! That's what happens when I comment through my phone while in bed with one eye open looool

Johara Almogbel Yara wrote: "Oops sorry! That's what happens when I comment through my phone while in bed with one eye open looool"

LOL! The comments are valued, all three of them:)

Johara Almogbel Yara wrote: "I know! I expected to get sucked in by the magic, I was so ready for it. I mean, I can understand why they didn't run away from the only life they knew, but there were too many missing pieces from ..."

Exactly! And the life they had wasn't worth much to stick to. I reslly expected them to run, especially since they were in love enough to brave asking for a deferral.