Ron's Reviews > Cross Fire

Cross Fire by James Patterson

M 50x66
Dec 31, 11

Read in December, 2011

** spoiler alert ** In the days before "jumping the shark" became the standard to mark the decline of a television show, I used to apply my own standard, the "evil twin." You know, when an evil twin pops up, the show has officialy run out of ideas.

This book runs a variation on the evil twin. The villian, apparently a long time foe of series hero Alex Delaware, stalks and kills an FBI agent named Max Siegel, then has total facial reconstruction surgery to look like him. He also learns to speak exactly like him. Then he steps into Siegel's life as if nothing happened. The plot device used to soften this ridiculous scenario - that Siegel has been deep under cover on a drug operation and therefore has had little or no contact with his colleagues for a while and noone really knows exactly what he looks like anymore - was not even lame enough to make me chuckle. The point of the killers actions is so that he can get close to Delaware on a joint FBI/police investigation and eventually kill him and his family. This is a total crapfest, not worth the paper its written on.

And thats really the lesson here, there was no paper involved. Someone gave me a Kindle reader a few weeks ago and I was trying to get started on using it to see if I would like it. I downloaded this book because the shopping function on the kindle is not particularly convenient, and I got irritated looking for something I wanted to download and read. It was taking too long. I remembered having read one of the Alex Cross books years ago and from what I could recall, it wasn't terrible. What a mistake.

On the upside, I liked the Kindle experience. The size and weight of the device worked well for me, and I liked not having to dogear pages to mark where I left off or where I need to go back and recheck some factoid from earlier in the story.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cross Fire.

Rachel Alex Delaware is the hero of the Jonathan Kellerman series that is also nearing a shark tank near you

message 2: by Ron (new) - rated it 1 star

Ron Rachel wrote: "Alex Delaware is the hero of the Jonathan Kellerman series that is also nearing a shark tank near you"

Yes, you are correct madam. In my irritaion, I guess I confused my Alexes. Ive read the Alex Delaware books and agree whole-heartedly with your view.