Robin's Reviews > The Shopkeeper

The Shopkeeper by James D. Best

Jan 23, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, kindle-freebie, kindle, 19th-century, western, usa
Read from January 20 to 23, 2012

At first, I thought this was your typical western: outsider of moral integrity comes to small western town near Carson City and pistol duels with the corrupt thugs who run the town through fear and bribery. But there's more to it than that; bringing down the empire of corruption that includes a sheriff, mayor, banker, judge, governor candidate, and mining tycoon, whose reach extents further than our small town, means using more cunning than gunslinging (though there's some of that too, to satisfy the reader's expectation of a stereotypical western shoot-out). Our hero isn't your typical cowboy but a New Yorker touring the west and our damsel in distress is actually already married. All of which make for a very interesting wild west tale.

I don't usually read westerns, I picked this one up as a Kindle freebie. In fact, I almost didn't bother, even though it was free, I thought for sure it wouldn't be my type of historical fiction. Even the title sounded boring. But it's well written and has an exciting plot and so I wound up really liking it. It's well worth the normal Kindle price of only $4.99 and I was pleased to discover this is the first book in a series. I’ll definitely be reading the rest. The only downside is that it's potentially ruined any other westerns I might pick up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shopkeeper.