Mimi's Reviews > The False Princess

Feb 14, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: older-children
Read in February, 2012

I kept thinking about how Sinda was experiencing the reverse of adoption as I was reading this book. She found out one day that her parents were not actually parents and that they didn't want her (or couldn't want her), because she was just a stand-in for their real daughter, and they were risking her life every day. I would have really liked to read some from the king's and queen's perspectives. It must have been so hard for them to raise a baby and try to stay unattached, knowing she would be "swapped out" one day. I can't imagine how difficult that would have been. How can you not love a sweet little child? No wonder they tried to keep their distance. They (or tutors) definitely did a good job of instilling a sense of putting the nation ahead of oneself (by how she just accepted having to leave the palace).

I also would have liked to know more about what Mika and Orianne were thinking. I guess, haha, that I wanted to be the omnipotent reader. I really enjoyed Sinda's thoughts and progression, but what the others in the novel experienced was really interesting, too.

Everyone should have a friend like Kiernan. Best friends turning into something more can be difficult to portray well, and I thought O'Neal did a good job.

I liked this quote: "I had resolved, the night before, to wait until dark, but now that seemed like a feat worthy of a song." It just made things seem really realistic. It's one thing to write "and she sat there waiting all day," and quite another for that to be real life and to imagine really sitting there all day. It seemed really self aware for a book.

And also: "I awoke the next morning knowing exactly where I was. No moment of confusion, no thought that I was still in my bed in the palace. Even before I opened my eyes, I knew what had happened and where I was." That seemed really real, too. I have never woken up and thought for a few moments that I was somewhere else. (And I've moved a lot.) That whole not-realizing-where-you-are-when-you-first-wake-up just seems like an unrealistic trick used in books and movies. I was glad O'Neal didn't.

I think this is a book that girls maybe eleven and up would enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The False Princess.