Annalisa's Reviews > Broken for You

Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos

542037
Jun 24, 08

bookshelves: chick-lit, book-club, psychology, contemporary
Read in May, 2006

** spoiler alert ** I read this for book club, church book club, when a librarian suggested it. It starts off okay, intriguing enough, and then the story breaks apart. An elderly dying woman, Margaret, living alone in a mansion full of valuable porcelain suddenly abandons her recluse live to take on a border, Wanda, who is a sad, directionless girl pinning after her ex-boyfriend as well as dealing with her own parental issues. The women bond because they are both broken and tentatively guarding their hearts and secrets from intruders. Soon you discover that all these artifacts were stolen from exiled Jews by her father and weighing heavily on Margaret's conscious. What to do with the treasures?

Sounds okay so far, but between hippie artsy pottery breaking sessions, taking on quirky, cliche roommates galore so the mansion mirrors a free-loving colony right out of the sixties, and new and old relationships mended and explored with way too much get in touch with your feelings emotion for me to care, I could not take this story. Throw on pretentious writing, a plunge from intelligent plot to racy romance novel level, too many f words, and well I've already mentioned the unbelievable plot and character stew and this novel is a recipe for a book I didn't care to finish. I only did because I rarely put down a book I've invested so much time in. I just couldn't imagine it could get worse and yet it continually downgraded. I'm not sure how this made it to the national best sellers unless librarians are pawning it off on unsuspecting victims everywhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken for You.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sylvia Tedesco I agree completely. When they got to the pottery breaking I gave up.

message 2: by Sarra (new) - added it

Sarra You couldn't have hidden this review? It contains spoilers, which isn't indicated anywhere. I do so appreciate having plot points revealed for me because other reviewers are thoughtless.

Annalisa Sarra,
Thanks for the heads up! I think I wrote this review before there was or at least I knew about the spoiler flag.

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Annelisa, I think it is hilarious that you are the only one of my goodreads friends to have rated this book, and you rated it so poorly. The reason it's so funny is because of our discussion tonight at Shanon's.

Guess what the next selection for the "other" book club is? Should I even bother reading it? I didn't read your review since it contains spoilers, so just give me a brief review and tell me what made you dislike it so much.

message 5: by Annalisa (last edited Oct 20, 2010 09:53AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Annalisa I'm not a fan of Bohemian characters, so that could have tainted me, but I think it progressed too much into what someone in the sixties would think of as the perfect community. It also has a lot of language and sex that doesn't add to the plot. It's an interesting topic and I liked it in the beginning, but it got too ridiculous and unbelievable.