Misfit's Reviews > The Sea of Love

The Sea of Love by Sorcha MacMurrough

Feb 14, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: all-aboard-for-the-tudor-train, historical-romance, kindle-freebie-slut, where-in-the-hell-is-the-editor, more-holes-than-swiss-cheese, so-bad-its-funny, 2012-mt-tbr-challenge
Recommended for: No one!
Read from January 04 to 05, 2012 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** The story begins on the West coast of Ireland in 1546. Aidanna O'Flaherty has been framed for murder by evil doers so she can't take over as head of the clan after her father dies. You know they are evil doers because they have rat-like features that smirk and feast their eyes on her greedily. The evil plot goes well until the nattily dressed courtier Declan Burke (bejewelled cod-piece, check) shows up from England to take charge of the Aidanna's trial and declare her innocent, but those evil baddies aren't done yet - they off Declan into the watery deep. Don't worry though, our heroine is a woman of many talents and she saves the day and Declan and the two hide out for a while on some super secret hidden island off the coast of Ireland, giving them time for plenty of horizontal mumbo-jumbo.

After they get off the island there's still Aidanna's innocence to prove and our spunky sword wielding gal (and she can wield it like a pro in either hand) heads home to challenge her detractors. Then there's some bit about a big Spanish invasion involving many ships planning to take over and wait it out until old King Henry VIII bites the dust and they can put Mary on the throne. Of course, our spunky sword wielding gal takes charge of her fleet and the battle to fight them off and forces them to terms of surrender. Unfortunately, the English at Galway bay aren't liking her terms and lock the Spaniards up in gaol. Well, Aidanna can't have that happen after she gave her word, so our spunky, sword-wielding gal plots to get them out through the old sewers below and send them safely back to Spain.

"She stormed down the stairs in a fury, and fought the two guards who were standing there, stabbing one with her sword, and shooting the other with her pistol."

Oh, did I mention during all of this that she's preggers?

Moving onward, it appears Declan has been forced back to England and lands in the Tower along with his lord the Duke of Norfolk. Never fear though, Aidanna sets sail to save the day, but hits a few snags when they face a fierce winter storm off the coast of Cornwall and they are ship wrecked. Aidanna's "main fear [for her crew] was that many spoke no English. Was it possible the people here would mistake these people for Spanish or French invaders?"

*rolls eyes*

Amazingly, the first house they go to for succor from the storm are friendly folks (luckily she speaks English and a bit of Cornish) who know Declan and take her to London to save him from the evil judge (more squinty eyes and stuff so you know he's a baddie). After the trial there's another battle by combat and our super woman super heroine determines to be the champion despite her now advanced stage or pregnancy.

Whew! What a convoluted mess of a plot, and one that according to the author's notes is loosely based on the life of Grace O'Malley. Sorry, but this is a mess from beginning to end, and poorly edited to boot with some of the most cringeworthy typos I've seen in a long time. I'm adding an extra star just for the unintentional humor. I'd have bailed early on, but I was laughing so hard at Aidanna's preposterous adventures that I kept on reading, train wreck or no. Thankfully this was a free download, but I wouldn't even recommend it if it's free.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Love.

01/04/2012
7.0% ""...and a tiny man with rat-like features smirked at her. His beady eyes feasted on her greedily, though her auburn hair hung down in strings."

"as the rat-eyed little man took advantage of Aidanna's fall to run his hands all over her slender body possessively, like a miser counting his gold."

Sigh. The baddies so far do nothing but snarl, scurry and crow.

01/04/2012
10.0% "She blushed as she felt his arm go around her slender waist and hold her to him protectively, her bottom pressed firmly against Declan's fashionably prominent bejewelled codpiece.

Tried to find an image, but google results for jeweled codpiece were rather mixed...

" 5 comments
01/04/2012
12.0% "Aidanna shook her head quietly, her grey eyes, storm tossed as the sea, looking earnestly at her judge."
01/04/2012
25.0% ""...and since she has been emprisoned here."

Ouch!

"Your place in the Burke sept restored will be restored..."

How does stuff like this get published?

" 4 comments
01/05/2012
32.0% ""No, Declan, I understand exactly what you've said, and if you dislike hearing the truth, just think how I feel. Spare me the absurd protestations, and catch some fish.""
01/05/2012
45.0% "The typos are becoming excriciating.

"We both know what's wrong with you, why your off your food and so out of sorts."

she was so nub with grief."

"I only wish I had seen Donal for what hes was sooner..."

"Of late I have been think seriously..."

" 6 comments
01/05/2012
54.0% "OK. So our heroine was bit in the leg by a seal, almost died and is barely getting out of bed. Now she's going to a battle to the death via swords to keep her right to rule the clan after her father's death.

At least I think that's what's going on...

Oh, and our sword fighting heroine can do it both handed!

" 9 comments
01/05/2012
58.0% "The entire company was thrown into confusion by his words, but they looked at Aidanna with new admiration, and she could see her father waver.

They aren't the only ones who are confused...

01/05/2012
59.0% "She looked around on the ground, and took up a bow and some arrows. There were two crude pistols and an ammunition pouch on another of the dead bodies. Seizing them, Aidanna ran off in hot pursuit.

More in the comments.

" 5 comments
01/05/2012
62.0% "If I have this right, the Spanish are landing en force in Ireland to await the death of Henry VIII and then take over or something like that. There's been some discussion that there's a question whether Mary or Edward will rule afterwards. Like Mary has the better claim or something." 3 comments
01/05/2012
65.0% "I'm not sure what is more impressive. Is it the huge fleet of Spanish ships that sailed around England to Ireland without the English fleet spotting it? Or that our intrepid heroine is leading the charge on deck, let alone dictating the terms of surrender to the Spanish captain."
01/05/2012
66.0% "Aidanna's happiness at the prospect of the danger averted, and the foiling of Donal's plot to get them embroiled in an international conspiracy against the English government, was short lived. She couldn't believe here eyes when she reached Galway.

"here"?

And under English law, they are part of a Catholic conspiracy to overthrown the Crown and I will put them to death.

01/05/2012
67.0% "She stormed down the stairs in a fury, and fought the two guards who were standing there, stabbing one with her sword, and shooting the other with her pistol.

Our eighteen year old heroine is quite the wonder. Yes indeedy.

" 7 comments
01/05/2012
77.0% "Aidanna sent Diarmuid and Ruairi below to safety, and lashed herself to the forepeak as she sought to navigate the boat along the treacherous coast which she had sailed many times, thougn never during the winter nor in weather like this.

Oh, did I mention this gal is eighteen and pregnant to book through all of this?

01/05/2012
79.0% "My dear girl, you are in no condition to ride to London! You're seven months pregnant at least, judging from your size, and you've just been shipwrecked!

I'm dying here...

01/05/2012
86.0% "OK, our heroine is now almost eight months pregnant. She's had sex with her lover (seemed to enjoy it). Went "running down the gangplank again, nearly sending everyone flying into the water." and boy oh boy, she wants to keep her sword fightin' up to date and she's not only practicing, she's besting her coach.

Who's impressed?

" 17 comments
94.0% "About eight months pregnant now and

She had dispensed with her gown, and stood shivering in her hose and doublet, which did nothing to disguise her rounded belly.

01/05/2012
99.0% "Oh ho. According the the author's notes this book is fictionalized take off of Grace O'Malley. And this topper, All of my details are historically accurate. Only my characters are fictional."

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

haha! I resisted this one! ;)

Misfit Lucky you. This is dire. Very very dire...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I am going to read My Lord Viking one of these days.

I googled "codpiece" (I left off bejewelled) and saw why it would be difficult to find an "appropriate" image to post. @~@

message 4: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar I Googled 'codpiece with jewels' and scored but I thought it best not to post it ;-).

Misfit Hehe. Especially since I was at work when Googling.

message 6: by the_cat (new)

the_cat K k I'll do it lol
Here, a jewelled one:
[image error]
But this one is priceless:
[image error]
... with the little guy from Ice Age :)

Misfit the_cat wrote: "K k I'll do it lol
Here, a jewelled one:

But this one is priceless:

... with the little guy from Ice Age :)"

:D

Thanks for that.

message 8: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar The jewelled one I found was armoured and stood to attention! Yours was much more tasteful. LOL.

message 9: by the_cat (new)

the_cat Jemidar wrote: "The jewelled one I found was armoured and stood to attention! Yours was much more tasteful. LOL."

Oh I saw that one. A nasty thing if the guy gets itchy :D
Only when I googled "Renaissance codpiece" I got some embroidery and such. ;)

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm going to join this conversation to say one word. That word is "merkin". A friend of a friend of mine who is an artist once had an exhibition of merkins she had made. These days, I hear codpiece, I think merkin. That's the way my mind works.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

But, did she make bejeweled merkins?

message 12: by Kim (last edited Jan 05, 2012 02:28PM) (new)

Kim From memory, I think that she did. :D

ETA: Costume jewellery, not the good stuff.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I bet Declan had some real jewels.... (bad pun intended.)

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim Hmmm ... maybe it was a mistake to join this conversation! ;D

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Too early in the day for you? lol

I'm avoiding kitchen duty...... That's my excuse. ;)

Misfit What too early? The work days is almost over.

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim A bit early, yes!

I'm avoiding work. Sitting in front of my computer and psyching myself up to it. Better start writing!

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim Misfit wrote: "What too early? The work days is almost over."

I wish. But not for me. It's 10.20am.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Kim's already workin' on Friday! lol

message 20: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Thank God it's Friday! ;-D.

message 21: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Kim wrote: "I'm going to join this conversation to say one word. That word is "merkin". A friend of a friend of mine who is an artist once had an exhibition of merkins she had made. These days, I hear codpiece..."

I'm not going to ask how your friend knew what a merkin was!!

message 22: by Kim (last edited Jan 05, 2012 08:59PM) (new)

Kim Jemidar wrote: "I'm not going to ask how your friend knew what a merkin was!! ..."

Well, apart from being an artist, she is also a medical practitioner. Not sure if that really explains it, though.

message 23: by Kim (new)

Kim Jemidar wrote: "Thank God it's Friday! ;-D."

Yay! Almost home time!

message 24: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Umm...no it doesn't. LOL.

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim Jemidar wrote: "Umm...no it doesn't. LOL."

Well, no, maybe not. Possibly she's just very good at research.

message 26: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar I love the word research. It covers so many possibilities!

message 27: by Kim (new)

Kim Jemidar wrote: "I love the word research. It covers so many possibilities!"

:D

message 28: by Karla (new)

Karla How the hell to rate this one? The writing and story are dire beyond words. The typos inexcusable. But then, I was laughing my arse off through the last half.

Ah, welcome to the dilemma I face every time I read Lora Leigh. :D