Alison's Reviews > Gregor and the Code of Claw

Gregor and the Code of Claw by Suzanne Collins

Jan 11, 13

bookshelves: own, fantasy, series-finished
Read from October 28 to 30, 2012

-Nice wrap up of the series. Collins truly kept her audience in mind. This is a war so deaths do occur but they’re done well. There are a few but they aren’t overwhelming. It also doesn’t feel like she’s avoiding death and other big issues to make it easier on the kids.

-The characters have become really well rounded and will be missed. I really have grown to love them over the 5 books.

-I loved that Lizzie really got to join the story. Not only did she join the story, she played a big role in saving Underland.

-It’s nice to see a children’s book that explores the idea that maybe you’re not on the “right” side. Everyone wants to be the good guy but that’s not always possible. Gregor learns that the Underlanders haven’t always treated the other creatures well. The other creatures probably don’t have clean hands in this situation either. It’s an eye opening realization for younger readers and a good reminder for older readers.

-Collins wrote these books years before THG books but I definitely see some similarities between the books: close sibling relationship, protagonist is ‘chosen’ to be a hero/savior, protagonist fights for the underdog, a touch of politics, and probably more that I’m forgetting.

-The series has earned its place on my book shelf next to Harry Potter and Percy Jackson.

The bottom line? It’s a solid ending for an awesome series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gregor and the Code of Claw.