Sherry's Reviews > 11.22.63

11.22.63 by Stephen King

Jun 04, 12

bookshelves: awc
Read from May 26 to June 04, 2012

I read a lot of Stephen King as a young person. (Didn't everyone?) I found his books to be scary, interesting, haunting, and hard to put down. As I got older, either his work lost me or I outgrew him, I'm not sure which. Most of my Stephen King consumption post-1990 was the film adaptations of his books: Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile, etc. Like many of those stories, this too was a departure for this "King of Horror." Has he even written a horror book recently?

I read this book based on the glowing reviews being given by my friends and various other outlets. I was intrigued by the time travel component of the book. While I'm not a time travel story fan, I was interested to see how King would handle it.

The book was wonderfully engaging, with a small tie-in to his book, It, as well as the general fiction he has constructed in Maine. There were many mini-climaxes, which reminded me of his serial novel, The Green Mile. For most of the book, I found it hard to tear myself away. Like many books I've read lately, I am eagerly looking forward to the film adaptation.

It's hard to criticize the book. I like the way he handled almost everything, although there were a few spots I felt like he was reaching too much, which almost caused me to rate this 4 stars. However, time travel is always a tricky subject when it involves so much theoretical "what ifs," alternate futures, and hypothetical explanations. I do have some questions about the end, but overall, I'm satisfied.

What is the moral of the story? That everything works out for the best? That the bad things that happen to us might ultimately lead to a more positive future? That destiny will always win? That those shimmers of deja vu might really be something more? All of the above? Who knows?

But if you're looking for classic Stephen King, King like you knew him as a kid, tinged with something new unlike anything he's written before, check this book out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11.22.63.

message 1: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt King Ooooh, you'll have to let me know how it is. I've got that in the to-read pile.

Sherry Matt wrote: "Ooooh, you'll have to let me know how it is. I've got that in the to-read pile."

I'm a little over halfway finished and it is incredible. It reminds me of old Stephen King in that I love it and I can't put it down. Haven't read that from him in a long time. What makes it weird is this is also nothing like anything he's ever written. I can't wait to see the movie.

It's a fast read.

message 3: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt King That makes me feel better. I haven't been impressed with his last few books.