Patrice's Reviews > Sister

Sister by Eloise Greenfield

Dec 31, 11

bookshelves: 2011, young-adult-fiction, harper-trophy
Read on December 30, 2011

Admittedly I'm reading some shorter books to fluff out my reading goal for this year. My boyfriend even called me out on it yesterday. He pointed out the two smaller chapter books on top of one of the giant piles of books on my bedside table, "do those count?"

Yes, they count! This is yet another Amazing Bookstore find. I love looking through their young adult award winning section, which is a few cardboard boxes full of books that are often recent cast offs from school libraries or teachers.

is a book that was originally published in 1974. It started off as a short story that was adapted for children. I'd love to read the original short story that this small book was based on.

This is the story of a girl named Dorothea who has recently lost her father. The Freeman family is adapting to life without a father. It's unclear where this story primarily takes place. One scene in the most poignant chapter refers to North Carolina. Dorothea's grandfather is telling her the story of her great-great-great grandfather, Grandpa Jack, who was a slave in North Carolina. This chapter is a beautiful piece of writing.

Dorothea asks her grandfather, "How can you laugh when you hurting really bad?"

"Folks most always hurting somewhere, Sister. Feelings get hurt. Bodies get hurt. You don't laugh when you hurting, you would hardly ever hurt at all. Can't let pain get you down, you know."

Sister's grandfather goes on to tell a powerful story about their ancestor Grandpa Jack.

This story would be appropriate for readers at a 3rd grade to 5th grade reading level.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sister.