Katya's Reviews > Arctic Winds

Nov 10, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-rom, shifters
Read on December 31, 2011

** spoiler alert ** 3.75 Stars

I like this series. I like the characters and find myself imagining if I had stumbled into town. Samantha is weak, broke and at the end of her rope. Her parents died and she was kept alive by her skulk until she was of age. Then asked to leave. No one ever really wanted her. She has wandered from town to town and migrated from Alaska to Colorado. She uses her last bit of money to splurge and have a breakfast at a diner she came across while on the road.

Jason, the Premier (Pack Leader) comes into the diner and smells her...not knowing what type of shifter she is and is immediately drawn to her. She is horrified when he approaches her and she picks up his wolf scent. So many packs do not abide other shifters amongst them and she is terrified they will kill her. She did not know she had stopped in a shifter town and begs everyone to let her go.

All Jason feels is a protective urge to take care of her. He takes her to town and finds her a place to stay, convincing her that she is welcome in their town and even sets up a job for her in his sister's coffee shop/book store.

His wolf feels he has met his mate and is irresistibly drawn to her. He woos her and all she wants to do is escape not knowing or trusting that his feelings are natural. She has never known a sense of belonging and thinks that it is the novelty of an arctic fox in their midst that keeps Jason and everyone else involved with her.

Over the coming days/weeks Samantha's insecurity starts to fall away as Jason and his family are nothing but welcoming, accepting, kind, steadfast and tenacious and refuse to allow Samantha to feel anything other than wanted and loved. She is surprised to learn that Jason's father is fully human and so is one of his sisters. She is falling for Jason who is nothing if not persistent when he wants something...and he wants Samantha.

This story does get a HEA but not before some difficulty. Samantha wanders into anther town while running in the woods and is captured by the benevolent Premier of a shifters fox skulk. In the end Jason and his family (town) show Samantha that she is a valued member of their pack and worthy enough to be loved by and to love the Premier of a shifters wolf pack.

What I liked about this series is that they mark their mate with a bite and the enzymes deepen the bond between them. It makes the reader envious of the their ability to connect with their love that way. I loved the characters and the writing style is easy and draws you into the book. There is nothing distracting in the writing...you are involved in this story on the first page.

If I were to change anything: Two things....I would incorporate more shifting into the resolution of the story....and I would make this a longer book (another fifty pages?) And make the hero fall for the heroine a little bit later in the book. I like a story where the principals are drawn to each other and love comes on a bit more gradually.

I would recommend this to anyone who wishes to read a nice story about shifters and will be reading the other books in this series. They are fun, emotional and satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arctic Winds.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wanderlust (new) - added it

Wanderlust This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.

i dont click but i want too, it is almost worse when the whole review is like this...