Diamond S Williams's Reviews > Believe Like a Child

Believe Like a Child by Paige Dearth

Dec 30, 11

Read in December, 2011

I was really impressed with the blurb for this book and couldn’t wait to read it. As I started reading it, I realized that this was going to be a really hard book for me to read. The author holds nothing back when it comes to the sexual abuse that Aleesa suffered and it’s horrifying. There were times when I had to put the book down in order to calm my nerves, I was so disturbed by what was happening to this child.

As the book moved forward, it appeared that nothing positive was going to ever happen with Aleesa and that bothered me. I know a lot of victims of sexual abuse and I related to this book because of that. However, once Aleesa was able to finally make a good decision that would lead to a better life, I started to get annoyed with her. At times it seemed that despite her attempts to have a better life, she would constantly berate herself and make stupid choices that she didn’t have to. For instance, without giving away crucial points in the book, she chose to sell her body in the form of prostitution and stripping when she despised it when her “pimp” made her do it. I didn’t understand that.

For me, the book didn’t move as quick as I hoped. There were times when I was just waiting for something to happen and chapter after chapter nothing happened. I did like the book. I don’t feel comfortable saying that I loved it because of the topics covered in the book. I feel the same way about this book that I did about PUSH by Sapphire. It’s a good book but invokes emotions that I was not prepared to deal with.

The ending of Believe Like a Child is the only thing that kept me from giving this book 5 stars. I felt cheated and heartbroken when I finished. But for overall story and writing, definitely pick this book up. I’ve read many of the other reviews and this is one of the few times I agree with most reviewers. This book was disturbing but good. Kudos to the author for exploring such a difficult topic, especially since her background is similar.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Believe Like a Child.