Heidi's Reviews > Big Wig: A Little History of Hair

Big Wig by Kathleen Krull

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: children-history, juvenile-nonfiction, great-teaching-books, beehive-book-awards-nonfiction
Read from December 30 to 31, 2011

As I read this book, I confess, there were parts where I wrinkled my nose and went, ewwwh. I found it kind of gross to read about the use of animals droppings in one's hair. I thought to myself, well, it's a good thing we don't do that now. And then the humbling thought came, are we really any different in the amount of time and effort we put in to fixing up or caring for our hair? I would have to say no. All one has to do is walk down the hair care aisle at a store to realize that we are just as fussy about our hair, dying, shampooing, conditioning, highlighting. The products we use may be different, but we are just as vain as those who came before. This book would be fun to share with students. I am always looking for history books to use with my students that demonstrate how interesting history can be. This one makes a good addition to that list. Recommended for students who enjoy learning about some of the odd behaviors of the past.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Wig.