Sue's Reviews > The Luckiest

The Luckiest by Piper Vaughn

Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: favorites, mm-music-rockers, mm-romance, mm-series
Read on March 28, 2012

The Luckiest is the second book in the Lucky Moon series. Nicky spent his childhood battling abandonment from his mother, physical and emotional abuse from his father, and then in his teens, early stardom with only the guidance of his brother, his senior by a few years. Because of these horrible and life changing events in his childhood and teens, Nick has become an angry, confused, scared little boy in the body of man. Nick’s brother Shane has taken care of him since childhood and has always cleaned up his fuck ups over and over again, which allowed Nick to continue to flounder and enhance his douchbaggery behavior. Finally, Nick breaks the last straw, crashes his car while high and ends up in rehab. During his stay he meets Luka, the center’s nutritionist and thus begins their relationship.

A few things struck me as I was reading The Luckiest. I read books for the characters and character development. That is my favorite part of a story. I could really see the change in Nick from as early as his stint in rehab all the way to the very end of the book. Nicky continues to fuck up throughout the entire book. I like that. In real life, there is no *poof* – you’re magically better. Nick was allowed to have his mistakes and to try to grow from them. We knew somewhere under all that snark was the real Nicky. And in The Luckiest, he allowed us to see his vulnerability, his softer side. I felt that the angst was just the right amount. Since Nicky isn’t magically cured of all his hang-ups, he continues to mess up his relationship with Luka and continues to test his brother’s loyalty and love. (view spoiler) The sex scenes were so hot! I love Luka and his dirty talk! The scenes while steamy were appropriate and purposeful and not just used only as entertainment or fillers.

I could really see the growth in Piper and M.J.’s writing from Moonlight Becomes You to The Luckiest. I thought the characters were well rounded and delightful. I thought the affection and eventual love between Nick and Luka was beautifully written.

I’m really looking forward to the next installment of the The Lucky Moon series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Luckiest.

3.0% "Ahhh *rubs hands together* time for Nicky!" 7 comments
03/28/2012
21.0% "Oh, Nick...just want to take you home, squish you and then smack you upside the head...poor baby"
03/28/2012
46.0% "Uh oh, I have a bad feeling about this..."
03/28/2012
60.0% "Everything's going okay but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. I mean...c'mon, it's Nicky. :P"
78.0% "So hot!!"
86.0% "Oh, Nicky... :("
03/28/2012
89.0% "Breaking, I tell you. My heart is freakin breaking! Sniff..."
show 1 hidden update…