Maggie's Reviews > One Reckless Summer

One Reckless Summer by Toni Blake

Dec 30, 11

bookshelves: contemporary-romance-novels

This one was good, but kind of weird. The "secret" that Mick has is a HUGE one and is really... intense (? That's not the right word...), and I thought it was an interesting choice for a supposedly light-hearted contemp. romance novel. Mick's storyline is heavy, there's no doubt, and, really, the rest of the book is Mick and Jenny having sex in a variety of places. The writing was good, the storytelling better, but not much happens. It takes place over a summer, there's a secret, Jenny learns that she isn't undesirable, and Mick has to learn that he does deserve some goodness in his life.

But, can I say, the more of these When Bad Boys Happen To Good Girls stories I read, the more annoyed I get at the concept of having the girl be this paragon of awesome goodness that the "bad" Hero uses to absolve his sins, sort of. It kind of annoys me. Like, even the best girls aren't angels. People aren't perfect. I feel that this kind of dichotomy only hurts the characters and makes me not believe in the relationship. Like, the Hero isn't really seeing the Heroine as she is, but what she represents. She's not a person, but a thing for him to use to fix himself. I know that's getting English major-y, and I might be reading too much into it, but I'm seeing a theme in these books, and I want it to stop.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Reckless Summer.