Kathy (Kindle-aholic)'s Reviews > Shotgun Gravy

Shotgun Gravy by Chuck Wendig

Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: novellas
Read from December 30, 2011 to January 30, 2012

Atlanta Burns, the main character in Shotgun Gravy, is dealing with some serious, violent bullies. There is an undercurrent of hate through her town that is having monstrous results. The characters are teens, but is this a YA? I'm vacillating. And this doesn't mean I don't think teens should read it - I read adult books when I was a teen, so that's neither here nor there. It's just would I group this with YA or not? I think I'm leaning towards not, however, it does deal with a real issues that teens face: bullying. Let's face it, bullying isn't confined to high school. How many of us have encountered the bully who's still at it, this time in the corporate jungle versus the jungle gym.

Of course this story deals with bullying in a holy crap kind of way.

Atlanta has just returned to school after a stint at a special school/psych hospital due to events concerning her, a shotgun, and her stepfather. Her mother lives in the garage and seems afraid to say anything to her. Right away, she sees a boy being bullied and steps in. Atlanta has a strong sense of justice. She doesn't really trust that anyone with authority will fix the problem.

I'm not saying more about it becuase events unfold, secrets are outed, and I don't want to tell you the story. There were many times I was very scared for the characters. I really didn't know where this would go, how far, who would be left.

The story's also not over.

There is lots of swearing, violence, but this story does draw you in. I'll read the next one. Actually, after the teaser at the end of Gravy, I HAVE to read the next one.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shotgun Gravy.

12/30/2011
50.0% "I'm reading this and a little freaked out about where it's all going...it's good, but I'm not convinced a HEA is going to happen"

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider Bullying doesn't really stop in high school. It's just a different flavor in the world place, but it boils down to the same thing and sometimes it's more obvious than others.

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) Oh, I know Maria. Bullies just grow up to be bullies. I could write an epic rant on how bullying is handled or rather not handled in schools now. ::seethes::

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider Kindle-aholic wrote: "Oh, I know Maria. Bullies just grow up to be bullies. I could write an epic rant on how bullying is handled or rather not handled in schools now. ::seethes::"

Sometimes it just seems like it would be easier to let them duke it out in the playground like we used to do. Instead, it all gets ignored and tolerated, creating even bigger bullies. Hmph.

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider Maria wrote: "Kindle-aholic wrote: "Oh, I know Maria. Bullies just grow up to be bullies. I could write an epic rant on how bullying is handled or rather not handled in schools now. ::seethes::"

Sometimes it ju..."

And I know you know. I just babble sometimes. :>)

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) I will say this, if my kids ever get in trouble at school for defending themselves or someone else, I will fight that one (and they'll prob get a treat).

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider Kindle-aholic wrote: "I will say this, if my kids ever get in trouble at school for defending themselves or someone else, I will fight that one (and they'll prob get a treat)."

You??? Gosh. I'm surprised. Not. Just don't take the sword with you on the first trip. Yanno. You want to at least pretend that you care about a first impression. Well, maybe not.

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) ;) My parents had a rule (they had been bullied a lot as kids): so long as I didn't start the fight, it was fine with them if I finished it. I like that rule.

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider Kindle-aholic wrote: ";) My parents had a rule (they had been bullied a lot as kids): so long as I didn't start the fight, it was fine with them if I finished it. I like that rule."
Pretty close to the rule I was under. I was always taught it was okay to stand up for myself. :>)