Jennifer's Reviews > The Quickie

The Quickie by James Patterson

Dec 31, 11

bookshelves: wrote-review
Read from December 30 to 31, 2011

There really isn't a likable major character in the book. I'm not opposed to flawed characters, but at least one central character should be likable even if flawed! Lauren suspects her husband is having an affair, so she has a fling. Her husband kills her lover and she does everything possible to protect her life as she knows it. She rationalizes it as protecting her husband because it's her fault she cheated, but all I saw was grasping at straws on reasons why she can't lose her husband and career. She's the most likable character, and I didn't like her at all! The poor victim, who gets less sympathetic every couple of chapters (which says a lot when the chapters are 3-4 pages), the husband (I won't spoil anything but he isn't likable either), and even the cop partner... the honest, hardworking cop is just as dirty as everyone else. The thing about crime mysteries, you get a satisfaction that in the end the bad guys get their punishment and the good guys win. This book has no good guys. There are bad guys, horrible guys, and then those that are supposed to protect and serve but really only serve their own interests. Bad guys get what they deserve (even if it isn't quite the reason they deserve it) and everybody looks the other way, and this is supposed to be a satisfactory ending?
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Quickie.

12/30/2011 page 43