Susan's Reviews > Murder at the Lanterne Rouge:

Murder at the Lanterne Rouge by Cara Black

Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: french, mystery
Read from February 25 to March 24, 2012

I read one mystery novel per year, in March. That yearly mystery novel is the latest installment of Aimee Leduc's detective adventures in Paris.

As usual in this series, the plot is fast-paced, complex, and involves a number of subplots. While reading this book, I found myself more than usually aware of Aimee's bag. Always with her, it is a never-ending source of just what she needs to solve a problem, whether it be her lock-picking tools, a computer disc, an extra cell phone, or just her red lipstick.

While the detective story is going on, a bit more of Aimee's personal backstory is revealed, as it is in each book. In contrast to the fast-moving mystery stories in this series, the backstory is parceled out slowly and deliberately.

While there were a few editing errors, as might be expected in any first printed edition, overall the editing has improved over time in this series.

I was sorry that the type of map provided was different than in the past. It was not as useful as the others had been. I kept hoping, while reading, that I might be able to use Soho's downloadable series "companion" to look at a better map online after I had read the book -- since I am not set up to read and go online at the same time -- but, alas, the companion only goes through "Murder in Passy."

So, my main suggestion to Soho would be to -- next time -- use some of those extra blank pages at the end of the book to include a better, larger, and more readable map.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder at the Lanterne Rouge.

02/25/2012 page 1
0.0% "I am eagerly awaiting the latest of Aimee LeDuc's adventures, which I will be getting in just over a week."
03/20/2012 page 64
20.0% "I am enjoying my annual Spring read of the latest Aimee Leduc mystery. This is the only mystery that I read this year. It makes for a nice change between Alice Munro's 'The Beggar Maid,' and D.H. Lawrence's 'Sons and Lovers'."