Chloe's Reviews > The Urban Homestead: Your Guide to Self-sufficient Living in the Heart of the City

The Urban Homestead by Kelly Coyne

Aug 25, 08

bookshelves: damn-the-man, how-to, reference, environment
Recommended to Chloe by: BoingBoing!
Recommended for: Those interested in weaning themselves from hyper-consumerism
Read in August, 2008

A rather handy book and one that I'll likely remain reading for quite some time. It's definitely whetting my appetite for getting out of the desert and back into a climate where I'm capable of growing something (note to desert lovers: I'm not saying that things are incapable of growing in the desert, just that I'm not capable of making things grow).

From handy ideas for growing potatoes to how to can and preserve various crops this is a nice fount of information for someone like me who has little experience in most of these arenas but would like to change that. I'm sure as the years go by and I get more familiar with the techniques that I'll put this down and move on to more advanced homesteading lit, but for now this helps spark my imagination and get me excited about the possibilities for living self-sufficiently in that most unsustainable of environs, the city.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Urban Homestead.