Artemisa's Reviews > Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones

Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones by Brandon Sanderson

Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: children-or-teen, time-travel-alternate-reality, journal
Read from December 30, 2011 to January 02, 2012

I like this ideia that librarians are evil.
I also love all the alternate reality of a world with magic and technology that to "us hushlanders" looks like magic.
I like when writers throws the reader into the wold and explains the rules as he goes along, if they don't contradict them. And that s one of the best things in this book.
We get to learn the rules along with Alcatraz, even he knows way more than he tells us, and tries to throw a few red herrings along the way.

the worst part of this book is this little this that a couple of writers know have the habit of doing that is talking to the reader and trying to distract them from the story they are actually telling.
The thing I hatted the most about the first book was how every chapter ended in a cliffhanger, followed by some rambling.
In this book not every chapter ended with in a cliffhanger, the pauses felt more natural, even if every chapter started with some rambling it wasn't so off putting and irritating.

now for a spoiler :) (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones.

12/30/2011 page 15
4.0% "i'm having a bad feeling about this book. I like Alcatraz and his "voice" as the narrator, but this style of writing where the narrator talks to the reader and keeps interrupting the story drives me nuts. it's a literary trick and for me it gets olde realy fast."
show 1 hidden update…