Jilly's Reviews > The Darkest Pleasure

The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter

Dec 30, 11

bookshelves: lords-of-the-underworld
Read in April, 2011

So admittedly while liking the previous books well enough they haven't been my favorites. Reyes, definitely tops them. I went into Pain's book thinking this would be about him finding enjoyment with Danika while enduring pain and while to some extent that is true it isn't entirely true. Showalter managed to make it so Reyes can experience joy without always having to have pain involved which was Reyes's wish. I did enjoy that. I also enjoyed that while Reyes is the keeper of pain he doesn't seem to enjoy inflicting pain and the few moments he slipped and squeezed to hard or any other acting that gave Danika a moment of discomfort he' was quick to apologize and felt horrible about it.

Reyes isn't one to hurt a woman either. It is clear that despite his need for pain, because of his possession, he is unwilling to hurt others unless it is necessary to protect himself and those he loves. Despite everything, this is quite a feat for a man possess by Pain.

As for Danika, she's nearly a perfect heroine. She's strong and capable and mouthy. She's not willing to let people do everything for her. She wants to fight to save the man she loves. She wants to fight for her family. She continually strives to help those around her. She even fights to save Reyes when he clearly doesn't need her help. Danika's temper flares easily but she also calms just as easily. She's an enjoyable enough character.

I liked the outcome and surprises in this story. My continuing interest in Paris and his predicament have made me realize his book had yet to be printed. This does not bode well for my own sanity. I do have to wonder how Torin (Keeper of Disease) will ever have a book if he can't touch anyone. And I enjoyed Aeron's part in this book and can't wait to read his book. I can't believe what we learned about Legion.

Despite my earlier resistance to this series, it is entertaining. I just hope the books steadily improve instead of returning to the previous mild let downs.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Pleasure.