Jilly's Reviews > The Darkest Whisper

The Darkest Whisper by Gena Showalter

Dec 30, 11

bookshelves: lords-of-the-underworld, favorites
Read in May, 2011

Wow what a difference. I mean I tend to be the type that will like a series just because I've continued to read it. I can't say I hate the series but it is far from being my favorite. Now, I have to tell you that this book and this "Lord" is far more interesting that the previous ones. I didn't expect that as Sabin is not one of the original Lords we encountered. He was one of the set that had been separated from the ones we met it the first book who currently reside in Budapest. They joined the Budapest Lords in book three and while I was happy these friends were reunited, it was clear this was going to be a ploy to continue the series past the Lords we had.

Showalter took that a step further in this book by revealing there are demons that were placed in other Immortals that our Lords know nothing about but which Cronus wants found. This could be a never ending story. I don't now how I feel about that. At times, I want my books and the series to continue forever but you can only tell us about there battles for so long before it is just redundant.

Still, this has been one of the best books of this series. Doubt is an interesting one though that demon seemed to play a lesser roll and hinder our hero/demon possessed immortal less that say Pain or Wrath. Still, Sabin doesn't lie because it pains him. He's brutal and relentless. He wants to win at all costs though he's not Defeat. According to Sabin (Doubt) he would sell out the woman he loves to win his war against the Hunters.

Of course, when it comes down to it he's unable to do so because he loves Gwen so much. Something I did actually like about this story is that Sabin wanted and felt like he was in love with Gwen from the beginning but he kept refusing to give into it. He was a little more hard than the others without being bad.

Gwen is a Harpy which means that she's a better fighter than Sabin and, of course, appealing to the warrior in Sabin. The traditional appearance of a Harpy as creature like and ugly seems not to apply in this series. Gwen looks human except that her skin is apparently angelic looking. She covers up with makeup so as not to be obvious that she's not human. She also has little wings which are apparently a Harpies weakness (remember that just in case).

What I liked about Gwen is we find her locked in a cell (she's can't get out of) and has been forced to watch other immortal woman being raped and impregnated by her Hunter captors. She's timid and scared and distrustful. But as the book goes along Gwen comes into her own and ends up being a strong fighter and Harpy. I liked that Sabin saw that potential in her and believed in her enough to compel Gwen to see that her misconceptions about herself were in error.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Whisper.