Jilly's Reviews > The Jewel of St. Petersburg

The Jewel of St. Petersburg by Kate Furnivall

Dec 30, 11

Read in August, 2011

While I really enjoyed reading the first two books this one was rather disappointing. I knew it would be a prequel to the first book which was mostly about Lydia. We were supposed to learn more about her parents and the hardships they endured while in Russia and when fleeing Russia.

Now if you've read the first book you already know what will happen. You know what I mean when I say this book is misleading. I fully expected the ending to be different and less reassuring and felt mildly disappointed that I was wrong. Now, I'm all for positive endings but being a faithful reader of the series I was disappointed when it felt like Furnivall was deliberately misleading her readers though I supposed things could change quickly when running from a militant regime.

Now, that isn't the only thing I had a problem with. Furnivall isn't always an easy read but she kept my interest in the first two books. This novel seemed drawn out and lost my interest several times. It took me longer to finish this book that the previous ones, with two pit stops to read other things.

Valentina and Katya's relationship is a beautiful thing but if felt a little secondary to the story. Despite Valentina's desire to be a nurse in this book she doesn't strike you as the type in the first book. Her character seemed far too different from the Valentina we meet in The Russian Concubine. I also find that after reading so much of this families story and knowing the outcome has left me bereft. Does Furnivall not do happy endings for anyone?

While the character of Valentina wasn't exactly what I expected, I did enjoy the budding love story between Jens Friis and her. I enjoyed their moments together and Valentina's manipulation of her overbearing and unreasonable father. I also enjoyed that Valentina wasn't content to be a society woman and wanted to do more with her life. I would have to say, though, that it was hard to reconcile both Jens and Valentina with their future counterparts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jewel of St. Petersburg.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Osman oh my. After reading all that you wrote I think I see what you mean. pity really, i read it in the intended order and enjoyed it.
'Does Furnivall not do happy endings for anyone?' kakaka lol just noticed that!

message 2: by Dayanira (new) - added it

Dayanira Reyes I just got with the book. Can you tell me wich are the other books in the trilogy?