Annette's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Jun 25, 14

bookshelves: holocaust, 5-star-fictional-favorites
Recommended to Annette by: too many to count
Recommended for: anyone 18 and up
Read in January, 2010

I have to say that I really didn't like this book at first. For about the first 50 pages or so I was thinking, "and why has this book won so many awards?" I persevered though, because it came so highly recommended by so many of my friends and I'm glad I did, because somewhere between 100 and 200 pages I got hooked and simply could NOT put the book down!

To me, this book is about humanity. Zusak very eloquently portrays the extremely evil side of humanity (the Nazis) as well as the extremely kind and compassionate side. War has a tendency to bring out the best and the worst in people. It's the acts of kindness that make the book so touching. This book is also about the power of words and how they can be used to influence people for good or bad.

I want to give Zusak an A plus for characterization. The characters are so endearing that I grew to love each one of them. It is so well written that I felt like I was right there on Himmel Street watching the entire story unfold. The book is so masterfully crafted that it's like he took one of the great cathedrals of Europe and set it to words. It is obviously destined to become a classic.

Normally, I wouldn't give a book with so much profanity 5 stars, but the book is so well written and had such a profound affect on me that I just can't bring myself to give it any less. However, I do agree with the others who have stated that this book should not be classified as YA lit. Even without the bad language, the subject matter is just too heavy.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

01/15/2010 page 142

Brandy I am so glad you liked this book! I typically have a difficult time expressing a favorite of anything but this book I feel worthy of saying is my favorite book. (at least for the moment) I always hate to give it such glowing reviews because I don't want to put someone's expectations too high and then have them be disappointed but at the same time I think "how could anyone be disappointed?"

Anyway, great review!

message 2: by Annette (last edited Jan 22, 2010 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annette Yes, how COULD anyone be disappointed? I feel the same way, and I was very surprised when I looked at the reviews for this book and discovered a few people gave it only one star! It makes you wonder, what kind of book, in their opinion, would deserve 5 stars?

Dawn Great review, Annette! I thought this book was amazing and excellent, too. I love the way you express your thoughts so well about this book. I read this several years ago, but I'm looking at it again and found your review. Thanks!

Annette Thanks Dawn! Have you seen the movie? I thought they did a pretty good job on the movie. Randy and I both enjoyed it and felt that the acting was superb! Good to hear from you again!

Dawn Annette wrote: "Thanks Dawn! Have you seen the movie? I thought they did a pretty good job on the movie. Randy and I both enjoyed it and felt that the acting was superb! Good to hear from you again!"
I haven't seen it. I tend to shy away from holocaust movies even more than books because the material is so painful to me. But I'll look into this movie. Thanks for the recommendation!