Laura's Reviews > Making Time: Lillian Moller Gilbreth, a Life Beyond "Cheaper by the Dozen"

Making Time by Jane Lancaster

Jul 21, 11

bookshelves: recommendations, favorites

I really enjoyed this book. I had read many, many times both Cheaper By The Dozen and Belles On Their Toes (the two books authored by Lillian Gilbreth's children about their family). I was very curious to read more about both Lillian Gilbreth and Frank Gilbreth, her husband, and their careers. (Lillian and Frank Gilbreth were industrial engineers, thought by many to have pioneered the field of motion study - highly controversial and fascinating in itself.)

This was a very carefully researched biography that I believe was Jane Lancaster's doctoral thesis. It provided a great overview of Lillian Gilbreth's life - from her fascinating family of origin to her marriage to Frank Gilbreth to her career after Frank died. The author does a nice job of gently pointing out some of the tensions in Lillian's life history, mirroring other women of her class and race who were born and raised during the Victorian era yet lived long enough to see sweeping social changes.

In many ways, this book is an interesting window into American history during the first half of the 20th century. It also deserves a better review than this - highly recommended, at any rate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making Time.