Meaghan's Reviews > Firefly Lane

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

May 23, 12

bookshelves: e-books
Read from March 13 to 14, 2012

This book is about a life-long friendship between two women. This is my 2nd Kristin Hannah novel and I have to say that I liked this one far more than Winter Garden. For some reason, while I enjoyed Winter Garden, I couldn't really feel a strong connection to any of the characters. This was not the case with this novel. This novel begins when Kate and Tully are pre-teens and just meeting for the first time. When the book ends the girls are now women and their friendship has been through it's share of ups and downs.
This book really took me back to my childhood/teens when I had a close friendship with one girl in particular. We have since gone our separate ways but I can't help but draw parallels between the characters in this book to our friendship. Throughout the novel, Kate is the type of girl who takes a backseat in her life at times and Tully is this headstrong character who can be a bit of a hurricane in the lives of others. Many times I wanted to slap both of them silly. I wanted to tell Kate to speak up and tell Tully what she was thinking and I also wanted to tell Tully to stop meddling.
A word of warning for this book though: it is a heartbreaker. I was reading this book and ugly-crying. No word of a lie, my husband kept looking over at me on the couch trying to figure out what my problem was. So if you are about to read this book make sure to bring your tissues with you.
Hannah has a way with her writing to draw you in and immerse you in the story. She went back and forth between Kate's point of view and Tully's point of view so you get a better idea of what each character is thinking. I really like when authors use different points of view to tell their story. This is a fairly big book and I read it all within 24 hours. That being said, I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. Go out and read this book soon!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firefly Lane.

03/13/2012 page 106