Shelagh (The Word Fiend)'s Reviews > Hellsbane

Hellsbane by Paige Cuccaro

5194986
Feb 06, 12

bookshelves: books-for-review, e-book, netgalley, angels, reviewed, demons
Read in December, 2011

Review from my blog: The Word Fiend

The moment I read the blurb for Hellsbane I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a copy – here was a book promising me something different from the usual stories involving half-angels. Sadly, I didn’t feel that Hellsbane lived up to its potential.

Hellsbane’s cover art is great. The statue of the angel holding the sword is a very effective way of linking in Emma Jane’s job as Heaven’s bounty hunter. I also love the figure’s pose, it screams sassiness and attitude and both are most definitely elements that Emma Jane has in spades.

Paige Cuccaro has created an interesting Urban Fantasy world with a fresh spin on Fallen angels and half-angels. Once a half-angel is chosen as a warrior in the fight against the Fallen their only hope of escaping the constant threat from demons and their masters is to find and kill the Fallen who sired them. I really like this premise and the possibilities it opens up for the story world and characters. But I couldn’t help but feel that Cuccaro let her great story idea down with an erratically paced plot. The action in Hellsbane hits you from page one and immediately draws you into the story, but Cuccaro doesn’t capitalise on this. I also felt that there were elements of the plot that could have been explored further, such as the growing attraction between Emma Jane and Tommy. There were moments of stunning description where I felt myself completely gripped by the images on the pages, but they never lasted for more than a few sentences and although Cuccaro writes well, the rest of the book suffered in comparison. I would have liked to have seen more consistency in Hellsbane’s plotting and the level of writing.

Emma Jane is a sarcastic and sassy young lady and it was entertaining following her as she comes to terms with the new world she suddenly finds herself immersed in. She’s a strong character and able to carry the story. Tommy and Eli are the other two main characters in Hellsbane. Tommy is a half-angel as well and I enjoyed the growing relationship between the two of them and felt that it could have been used to better advantage in the story. Eli is an angel sent to Earth to observe and train the chosen half-angels. We’re given a glimpse into his backstory which helped to add depth to his character.

Hellsbane is an action packed Urban Fantasy, but I felt that more could have been done with this original story idea.

Rating: 5½

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hellsbane.

12/25/2011