Ashley's Reviews > The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time

The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time by Mark Haddon

Oct 16, 11

bookshelves: own, psych, blog, re-read
Read in August, 2011

Another update- I have a real review of this on my blog, Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing BUT I really liked what I have below- my initial thoughts, and the updated thoughts and I don't want to delete those. So, if you want to see my 'real' review, click the link! :)

Update- Reread

I still love this book. Like, amazingly a lot! But, I'm reading this old post, and this time around, I didn't notice the swearing as much. Wonder what that says about me. :( But still, absolutely awesome book! You should DEFINITELY grab a copy!

First time-

Ok, so Wow. This book was amazingly well written. It's about the life of an autistic boy, and I felt that it really captured what it must feel like to live that way. It was interesting to mark the levels of emotion that I felt while reading the book, because the character expresses no true emotion. He understands happy and sad in a very child-like way, but that is all he understands. More complex emotions are beyond his capability to understand. But wow. I sure felt emotion. My heart went out to this kid. It is an interesting layout too. All the chapters are prime numbers, and it is illustrated with the charts, maps, figures and graphs that Christopher used to help him. It is also written 'by' Christopher. He is writing it down, so it is his voice telling the story. Very, very good. My only complaint is the over use of swearing, specifically the f-word. I felt that it was a bit overused. Other than that, I enjoyed just about everything about this book.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time.

Jennifer Lane This was quite a unique book--I enjoyed it too. Great review!

Ashley Thanks Jennifer!