Krista's Reviews > The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Mar 12, 12

bookshelves: 2012-book-challenge, classics, modern-fiction, four-star
Read from March 09 to 11, 2012

I have ultimately decided to give this book 4 stars, although throughout the reading of this book, at times I would have rated it 2 stars, othertimes 5 stars and everywhere in between!!!

This book takes place in modern times and the near future. It is a story of how our society, ruled by fundamentalist Christianity, would look. The narrator, Offred, tells a very fragmented tale of this story - how it came to be that our society was dominated by extreme Christian sects; how society changed as a result; and how her life was directly affected.

The writing was very disjointed - jumped between stories and times - which at times was difficult to follow. However, I (now) realize that this was done on purpose to convey the fears and despair of the narrator and the domination under which she lived. However, it bothered me nonetheless - even though the narrator later in the book apologizes for it.

The story itself was fascinating - how too much influence by a particular religion can be ultimately detrimental to a free society.

So given the extremes of the tough writing style and the wonderful story, I finally decided the story was excellent enough to counteract the disjointed story telling and gave this a 4 star rating.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Handmaid's Tale.