H Wesselius's Reviews > Here On Earth: An Argument For Hope

Here On Earth by Tim Flannery

U 50x66
Jan 05, 12

Read from December 30, 2011 to January 05, 2012

I've never been a great fan of Gaia hypothesis probably because it was presented in New Age terms that annoyed my rational mind. However, Here on Earth almost leaves me convinced due its more reasonable interpretation of the hypothesis.

If one gets through the rather boring and convoluted first few chapters, Flannery presents a wealth of fascinating information from disparate disciplines to make his case. Describing co-evolution, symbiotic relationships and even creating ant/civilization analogies, the reader is left impressed. When he details the human effect; mega fauna disappearance (except Africa), agriculture and the biodiversity decline, the increases of CO, he leaves the reader more than a little wary for the future. Unfortunately for the pessimist in me, I'm not convinced of his optimism that humans and the earth will be able to rectify the changes through new technology and establishing a new balance. Quite frankly the greed and the market he details in one of his chapters will be too hard to overcome.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here On Earth.