Greg's Reviews > Letters to Garrett: Stories of Change, Power, and Possibility

Letters to Garrett by Robert E. Quinn

in a marvelous series of back and forth letters, accompanied by thoughtful and insightful commentary by Quinn, we are drawn into the relationship between father and son. We are privileged to listen in while this wise and loving father engages with his troubled son in a cycle of questioning, answer seeking, and counsel from which we all can benefit. Perhaps because of some of my own experiences, I was brought to my knees by the insight Quinn found, and offered, in the preface to this book. "I agonized, prayed, and struggled to find some way to help. i wanted to fix things, to solve the problem. Gradually I came to an important realization. The real problem was that I was seeing my son as a problem, something to be fixed. The painful truth was that he was not a problem in need of fixing. He was a human being in need of love...The dreadful truth is that I was failing and I was the one who needed to change. Today I see my son with more loving eyes. I see awesome potential. I more fully confirm his right to make decisions and bumble his way forward in life, just as I have bumbled my way forward. There is nothing there to fix, but there is someone there to love. There always was."

Thus we begin (albeit vicariously) an amazing journey of discovery and growth and learning and hope for all of our own relationships, and for our own personal growth and development. The journey begins - and ends - with hope. Highly recommended!!!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters to Garrett.