Blair's Reviews > The Teacher's Tales of Terror

The Teacher's Tales of Terror by Chris Priestley

Aug 07, 14

bookshelves: ghosts-and-horror, kids-and-young-adult, past-and-present, read-on-kindle, short-stories, 2011-release
Read on December 29, 2011

Having read and enjoyed Chris Priestley's full-length ghost story The Dead of Winter, I was inspired to look into his other work - actually in the hope that he might have written some ghostly fiction for adults, but when I came across this little volume of tales at just 49p for Kindle, I couldn't resist snapping it up.

At the beginning of the book, a supply teacher, attired in suspiciously appropriate clothing for 'Victorian Day', arrives at a modern-day school. He is shown to a classroom and, instead of teaching the children before him anything academic, begins to tell them a series of three spine-chilling tales. These stories, all of which have a historical setting, make up the bulk of the narrative, with interaction between the teacher and his students linking each of them together.

I couldn't tear myself away from these spooky short stories and found them genuinely frightening - especially Lydia (oh my god, Lydia!!) Priestley may be an author of children's fiction, but I would have been scared out of my wits if I'd read these when I was a kid! Each story had a genuinely macabre twist and all three of them shocked me. The two books I've read by this author have restored my faith in children's books having appeal for adult readers. I will absolutely read more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Teacher's Tales of Terror.