Timothy's Reviews > Empire

2005076
Dec 30, 11

bookshelves: fiction, sci-fi
Read in October, 2011

I totally enjoyed Empire. I thought it was engaging and entertaining. I thought the premise was just as good, if not better, than Clancy-like situations. I liked the characters. I liked the action.

The political overtones, made explicit in the afterward, sat just fine with me, with its criticism of fanaticism on both sides. I thought that the sparkle of plausibility was there, and the sci-fi twists were no problem to integrate.

I really liked Malich and Cole. The whole "intelligent special ops guy" thing always works for me - maybe my favorite sort of action hero. We saw a (sort of ) similar character in Shaftoe in Cryptonomicon. The guys who can think about the future, consequences, strategy and leadership, and can also fire a machine gun. Their intellegence and craft expertise were both believable, and the arguments and action sequences bore that out. I totally didn't see it coming when we went from speculating about a terrorist plot to being in the middle of it (in the park at the beginning), and I totally didn't see it when Mal was killed. I also liked Torrent/Augustus. Good stuff all around. Heck, even the President (I forget his name) was pretty fun, and I liked his Coolidge-ness - care-taker president and all. Fun.

I've never read Card, but this makes me want to check out more.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire.