Michele's Reviews > The Last Time They Met

The Last Time They Met by Anita Shreve

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: abandoned
Read in January, 2012

-What do you think of this book?
She thought for a moment, tried to remember the last time she had been so annoyed by a style of writing.
-I think it sucks.
-Well, maybe if you had tried harder when you were younger, or lived your life in a different way, or managed to lower your standards.... He thought he had never seen someone so beautiful, would never again see someone so beautiful. Why was that couple in the corner feeding fried anchovies to their cat?
She knew he must be right, at the core of it.

What a bunch of crap this book is. I tried, but gave up after about 80 pages. I hated the way Shreve wrote her quotations. A minor point, I know, but for some reason it really aggravated me. It must've been the combination of that and the syrupy, melodramatic story that was probably somewhere in there, but I wasn't able to muster up enough interest to try to look for it.

This would have been the third book I'd read by Shreve. While I wouldn't count the other two (Fortune's Rocks and Sea Glass) as masterpieces – in fact, I managed to read one of them halfway through a second time before I realized I had already read it once before – they were at least readable and I thought Shreve was a decent writer. I don't know what happened with this one but I wasn't going to waste any more time trying to find out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Time They Met.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Jenn Love your review - spot on! I struggled through the entire book and can tell you there is a reason for the awkward dialogue format (italics and starting dash), an awful gimmick.

Kathy Norris Third part using regular quotes for dialogue!!

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana Burton I agree about the dialogue. I found the dashes and italics to be completely annoying--I never got past the first couple of chapters because of it.