Laura J. W.'s Reviews > Rising of the Lark

Rising of the Lark by Ann Moray

Jan 29, 12

bookshelves: on-the-nightstand, books-i-ve-read-multiple-times, folklore, i-ll-read-it-again, mythology
Read from December 30, 2011 to January 29, 2012

This book has been a favorite since I was about 14 or so when I checked out the copy from the Lyons Public Library one summer and devoured the book more than once...I always remembered it fondly more for its literary references rather than the story of Miss Catty itself, and how it inspired me to go digging into the old legends, Welsh poetry, and Lady Charlotte Guest’s Mabinogion, and the beauty of the mountains of Wales has haunted me ever since, leading me to appreciate other books about the subject, the Mabinogion, the books of Bulfinch’s Mythology, Osgood’s The Voice of England. Although I had not forgotten it, I forgot it, and came upon the author and title in an old diary that I had kept at the time, and was grateful for the reminder. Since then, I have looked for a copy of “The Lark” at various used book shops over the years, and have not found it, and it took a while to find a copy on Amazon, so when I did a random inquiry about the book recently, a 1964 library copy came up at a good price so I snagged it. Since it’s been so many years since I read it, I felt it was a guilty pleasure buying it, unsure if the magic would still be there as sometimes things from the past are not as wonderful as they were at the time, but once I opened up and got into it...yes, it is just as I remembered, the beautiful and at times brutal fairy tales glimmered their inspiration once again and the mysterious Welsh language remained just as precious. The delightful characters, Catty, Archibald, Morgan, Emma were alive and well, the theme of longing rising through a broken library window, the beauty of the landscape in tune with the harp played by Myfanwy Jones, and the cozy hold of tradition draped like the Paisley that Emma wore on Guy Fawkes night, and how the same traditions can turn violent as they did in the scene of the casting out of the arrogant "Foreigner" who got a young village girl pregnant. The triangulating relationship of Catty with Jane and Morgan has its typical moments of conflict and resolution, (at times Jane was a bit over the top.) The ending came with a "joyful quiet", and life goes on. It is a lovely book that is of a time, yet timeless, and I’m so happy to reunite with an old friend again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rising of the Lark.

12/30/2011 page 117
31.28% "I'm reading a hard to find 1964 library copy that I bought via Amazon marketplace, just like the one I read when I was a teenager...I suppose it would be considered a guilty pleasure to buy it...I feared that it wouldn't be the same, but the magic is still there, the Welsh mountains and the Mabinogion, Miss Catty and the broken library window, and Emma wearing her Paisley on Guy Fawkes night. A lovely read."
01/18/2012 page 287
76.74% "This is better than I remember... or perhaps better than I expected because when I first read it I was quite young, might've been 12 maybe 14 when I first found it...so I feared my nostalgia for the book was going to betray me...turns out, it's a sturdy little book, a classic built on the bones of classics..."