Laura's Reviews > The Day Before

The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder

Jan 03, 12

bookshelves: for-one-night-only, verse
Recommended to Laura by: Cara's Review inspired me to pick this one up!
Read from December 30, 2011 to January 01, 2012

Books written in verse have always scared me. I created this painful, flowery image to the format for some reason. But messing with the traditional story telling way is one of my favorite things to see and come across in this world. Soooo….I had to give this style a chance. I am so happy I did! I can’t believe my heart almost missed this experience.

The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder is truly a warm, beautiful reading experience that pulled me right in. The style and words had my attention with one skip of a fizzy bubble and magic that made me smile. That instant electricity when you meet that one person who seems to fit right into your life right there, right then without any hesitation is captured in this story with such beauty, emotion, and so few words. Beautiful words! This book is such an inspiring and dazzling example of the power of words and language. It just amazed me how these words came together to sweep me up into Amber and Cade’s glittery, “weird and wonderful day” adventures. Their day together made me laugh, long, reminisce, wonder, and wish.

I highly recommend this wonder of a story of how one day and one meeting can change everything. How perhaps that one person can come along at the right time to make you look at life a different way. Face your fears. Change your attitude. For one day.

If books written in verse make you turn and run far, far away—I beg of you to stop running and try this one. Just once. Please… :D

p.s. Before Sunrise is the most romantic movie ever! (In my opinion) :)

Cara! Thank you for the push and inspiration!
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day Before.

Quotes Laura Liked

tiptoes into the
quiet room.”
Lisa Schroeder, The Day Before

12/30/2011 page 6
2.0% "I thought I would start out the new year with a first for me. This is my first book written in verse. Looking forward to it! Happy New Year! :)" 3 comments

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 11: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara I'm so glad you liked it!:D Now I await for your review.

Jasprit Beautiful review Laura, so glad you loved it :)

Laura Hi Jasprit! :) Thanks! Have you read anything else by Schroeder? I want to read her again, but not sure which one to go with?

Jasprit Unfortunately I haven't read anymore of her other books, but maybe you should try Chasing Brooklyn  by Lisa Schroeder or Far from You by Lisa Schroeder I've read some really great reviews for these

Laura Thanks Jasprit! I loved her style, but I just don’t want to get burned by the genre already. I know…I’m a big scardy cat! Ha…blood & gore are no problem, but put a book written in verse in front of me—well…I shake in my boots! :D

Jasprit I know exactly what you mean. Finding great verse books is really hard, another one I really liked was Audition by Stasia Ward Kehoe (view spoiler)

Laura I have this one in my to-read pile! Actually I believe it might have been your beautiful review that inspired me to buy it. :) But….yeah….shaking like a leaf on a tree! :D (view spoiler)

Cara Ha! Your fear is well-founded Laura so no worries. I hate things to be ruined for me and that can happen. I've read Far from You by the same author and I've also read Song of the Sparrow which I really loved as well.

Hmmm.. now I'll have to check out that Audition book. I'm so glad you wrote this review because it's reminding how I actually like to read this genre every once in awhile.

BTW I've been blabbling so much but I originally wanted to say that your review is excellent;)

Laura Haha…thanks Cara! I think I might jump right back into it—read another one right away before I build my fear back up about the genre. :D Song of the Sparrow sounds good. Legends can hold such magic. Thank you for the recommendations. Schroeder really blew me away. I can’t believe how close I came to not picking this book up. It sat in my pile forever! I just loved Cade and Amber! I will keep you posted on my fears. ;)

♥Rachel♥ I'm going to have to try this one too Laura. Great review. :)

Laura Thanks Rachel. This one is my favorite verse book so far! The experiment continues though! :) Hope you like it!