Eric's Reviews > The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour

The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James D. Hornfischer

Dec 30, 11

Read in December, 2011

A very well-written book about the battle off Samar during World War II. Hornfischer goes into great detail and has great descriptive power.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who is new to books on history. Start with a Shaara book. This book does not pack the kind of power that Shaara books do. You get the history here, but not the level of insight into personal character that you get with Shaara books. This makes the read a bit dry at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee For me, the problem with the Shaara books is that they are historical fiction. I am always left wondering what really happened, what didn't, who actually existed, who was made up? That drives me crazy. Personally I always prefer the factual, non-fiction accounts.

You could be right about people being new to books on history. I didn't really think about that before. I have read so many and am so familiar with a lot of the stuff that I have a lot of trouble knowing what people "not into it" would know going into a book.

I loved this book. I have read a lot of books on WWII and, in my opinion, not many were better than this one.