Julie Davis's Reviews > Night of the Confessor: Christian Faith in an Age of Uncertainty

Night of the Confessor by Tomáš Halík

Feb 28, 12

Read from February 04 to 28, 2012

This is a dense book ... so much so, as far as I can tell, that even the back cover blurb forces the reader to slow down, absorb it, and think.

Oy.

However, when I read the introductory sample via Amazon before accepting the review offer, it seemed to have something to say to the thoughtful Christian. Flipping through the book itself upon receipt, I saw vignettes which piqued my interest and so it is going on my "to read" stack. With the understanding that the reading will come slowly and require thought.

UPDATE
I thought I wasn't going to read this for a while, yet somehow I picked it up a couple of days ago and have been dipping in for a few pages at a time. Rich and deep, with somehow simple ideas. Just when the author says something that I have a knee-jerk reaction of "that's not how faith works" he goes further and deeper so that I understand the reasons behind the surface statement ... and usually agree. This is thoughtful and though provoking writing which I am letting sink in. And it is enriching my internal life.

UPDATE the Second
I am at a loss as to how to describe this book except to say that it is amazing me every few pages. Tomas Halik's observations about "Christianity in an Age of Uncertainty" hit the mark time after time. In one sense, one must simply sit back and take in the view, letting his writing wash over you until the point is reached; at which point, I dive in. Occasionally I may disagree with him, but that is fairly rare and even when I do disagree it is because we have a different perspective. I can always see his point of view and it is not a non-Catholic one but just is different from my own. Which is also valid, as I believe Halik himself would say.

I am going to begin sharing nibbles of this over at Happy Catholic.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night of the Confessor.

01/01/2012 page 12
02/19/2012 page 160
67.0% "My mind is continuing to be blown by how right Halik gets it in talking about faith, Catholicism, modernism, and atheism in these days of uncertainty. Amazing."
show 4 hidden updates…