Jana (The Book Goddess)'s Reviews > Venom

Venom by Fiona Paul

Oct 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, blog-reviewed, debut-author-2012
Read from September 26 to 30, 2012

When I first heard that VENOM is set in Renaissance Venice, I almost fell out of my chair. Dude, that's like my favourite time period and city everrrr. Obviously, I had to read this. Then I read the summary and all these words 'masquerade', 'beauty', 'secret societies', 'courtesans' and all that just made me drop the book I was reading and immediately dive into this one. I gotta say, that was the right thing to do. I loved this book and more.

All the characters were amazing and were given time by the author to each develop fully and by the end of this book, you'll feel like they're your family. I loved her aunt (bless her), and her maid Serena. I loved the baddies/enemies here. I fully get why they did what they did. Though I still think they're an asshole.

Cass was such a great main character. She's now a part of my ever growing Favourite Heroines list (you can view the whole list in my FAVES page!). She's intelligent, knows how to take care and handle herself, and she's not perfect. She has flaws. And I think I really appreciated her imperfections because it makes us readers feel more connected with her and root for her all along.

Can I have my own artist boyfriend, please? Swoony sigh. Falco Falco Falco. Oh my goodness I want someone like him! Someone who draws me LOL And umm that drawing scene was like the best and my favourite out of the whole book! I wanted them to do it then and there! ;) Anyway back to Falco. There's so much about him that I didn't expect. First, I didn't expect him to be so developed and multi-layered. He's so charming, mischievous, confident and HOT. He's basically my book boyfriend. I wasn't expecting him to have such a massive part. And OMG guys THAT is a very good thing. I loved every page he was in. Seriously. I don't care if he's poor, I want to have his babies.

The forbidden romance between Cass and Falco was the best thing. I love forbidden romance and this one doesn't have anything to do with a vampire or a werewolf (so don't worry), this one is actually one that is realistic and kept true to the time period it was written it. The romance was SWOON-WORTHY. Falco and Cass are now one of my favourite ever YA couples. Oh, and yes there's a bit of a love triangle. You see, Cass is engaged to Luca, her childhood friend. Well, Luca, please just GO away. Thanks.

A lot of things happened in this book. Masquerade. Courtesans. Murderers. Prostitutes All of these things just happened to be my favourite - well, except the prostitutes. Y'all know me. If there's a masquerade ball, I'm THERE. I think the only problem with this book was that I found it quite too long. And the pace was really slow aswell. I think they could have made this book into a 300+ pages instead of its 432.

I was really REALLY suspicious of all the characters actually. Which is a pretty good thing. And I didn't guess anything and was taken completely by surprise. This book has a lot of twists and turns and I really enjoyed that aspect. I think a lot of people will.

The ending kinda made me all teary eyed (those who've read it should know what I'm talking about!) And nah, it's just me. It's not even a cliffhanger. But it's one where you're like 'I WANNA HAVE THE NEXT BOOK NOW. DAMMIT IT!' I really can't wait to see what will happen next. There's a lot of things left unanswered and the story was left open.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Venom.

09/26/2012
12.0% "My favourite city: VENICE. And it's set in Reinessance!!"
09/26/2012
30.0% "So mysterious and evocative..."
09/26/2012
34.0% "Want to continue reading but I got school :("
09/30/2012 page 300
69.0% 2 comments
09/30/2012 page 388
89.0% "Ooooh this is interesting..."
09/30/2012 page 423
97.0% "OH I LOVE YOU FALCO!!!"
show 3 hidden updates…